Tuesday, June 27, 2006

No moon century

So my crazy friend (Heather) came up with this idea..Hell week, back to back days of pretty tough rides/runs with the goal of each event to stay together as a group. (note: there's 9 days in Hell week) Day one was the No moon century, no moon? so what you say? Well the ride started at 7:30........thats 7:30 PM and there would be no moon to help us see. She said the pace would be slowish (15-16 avg) so I figured I could hang, and said I'm in!
We deciced on a the sweat series century route being it was familiar and should be low traffic roads, however the one concern was there would be no open anything from mile 30 to 88, so at 30 you better stock up on fluids!
We had almost 1 1/2 hours of light which put us at our 1st stop at a stewarts at mile 30.
The night was awesome, clear skies, no wind (humid but no biggie), everyone riding was super cool, and we worked well together, the course was challanging and fun, my legs were cooperating, everything just clicked to create a super enjoyable road ride.
I think we freaked a few people out with our lights (red flashing, blue flashing and white bar/helmet light) - had to look pretty weird coming down a totally unlit road
I was really happy to be able to finish pretty strong (I'm usually on the verge of bonking the last 30/40 miles)
oh, and not sure what happened to the planned 16 mph avg...I guess we were having too much fun pushing things a little bit

the #'s (a new PB for me!!)
102.1 miles
4650 ft climbed
5:37 (saddle time)
18.25 avgride
end time: [B]1:55am[/B]

it was a tough choice between denny's and a bar after, but the hunger pains won so we picked Dennys




No comments: