Tuesday, June 13, 2006

expert class is no joke!

damn, the expert class is no joke! By the the top of the 1st little climb I was already in last, and I knew then it was going to be a long day! I caught up to a dude I know "Orm", he was rocking the 29'r hardtail. So the battle was on for last place, me on my 29lb 26 FS vs Orm on his 26 lb 29'r HT !

Course was mostly doubletrack, hilly but no big climb...and a super muddy hike a bike jeep road thrown in for fun. I pulled away from ORM on the first lap, pushing hard on the DH sections, but a mile or so into lap #2, I hear a bike nad then hear ORM saying its just me! oh yeah, great!
I dropped a chain shifting, he goes by..I slowly catch up and folow him for the rest of the lap.
End of lap two, I grab a new water bottle (my rig only holds one) and next time I go to grab it, its not there!

lap 3 was ORM following me, I didnt feel strong and was taking it easy, I know he was trying to find where I was slower and where I was faster. At the start of lap#4 while I,m trying to get somee cups of water, he hits the hill pretty hard, and I have nothing to match. I didnt see him again until after the race. Props to him for throwing down a strong 4th lap.

Somewhere along the way we passed someone in our group cause I ended up in 15th, with 16 finishers and 3 dnf's

I have my work cut out for me, I need to hit the hills, get some intensity in, and find some faster riders to make me suffer during the week.

Bryna, Mark G, & Terry B all podiumed in expert. Selwitz & Christan raced sport, Selwitz was 5th, and I dont think Christan made it into the top 10.

the #'s: 4 laps, 2:22, and about 19 miles

1 comment:

Christian said...

You got it right, I didn't break the top 10. 13th out of 20 with 3 dnf in my class. The race was as described, but I take exception to your description of there being "no big climb." By the time I got through that muddy hike-a-bike I felt like I'd just climbed Hunter mountain. Oh, that's the next one, isn't it? Damn.
I had a strong finish to be proud of, passing a guy in my class who I had reeled in all through the race, and then beating another guy in my class on a sprint at the finish.
My goals were to A) finish, B) not get lapped and C) not come in last. I made all three, so I guess that's a good day.
I had a great time on the course. Thanks so much for cheering me on during the race, it made a big difference. Can't wait to see the pictures.

--
Christian