Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Plattekill

The course was all up top and it freakin poured as we started our pre ride, plus it was very foggy and maybe 50 degrees, so after 1/2 mile we went back down to the lodge, soaked and cold. Thankfully it stopped raining just before the race, there was a small turnout (maybe 25 riders total) and my age bracket was 30-99.
All sports went at the same time and i had the lead into the singletrack, soon to be passed by a 19-29, then a couple miles in passed by someone in my group. i could not stay with him. I felt slow on the climbs, I noticed my rear tire looked like it only had 25 lbs of air - I am sure that didnt help. Another rider caught me on the longest climb, Dante in the 19-29. This actually was good because it made me pick up my pace. The course was real nice, a lot of singletrack, roots, rocks, drops, short steep climbs, couple double wide climbs, a very good mix and no complaints at all about the course. Dante & me ended up riding together for 2.5 laps, it was funny being we would pass each other at the same spots each lap. We both ended up in 2nd in our age group, and 3rd & 4th out all all sport riders. Oh yeah, we actually caught & passed an expert rider (experts started 3 minutes before us).
Even with the small turnout it was really fun, everyone was cool & encouraging to each other. Lazlo was saying some stuff about my formal DH racing, got a nice medal, a mojo tshirt, some white lighting stuff, and a huge gatorade bottle. Laz also said this is an 3 series (I missed the 1st), and the next (Oct 16) is double points and Fox is supposedly hooking him up with some nice series prize. Only if Platty posted the series points......

No comments: