Friday, September 16, 2005

motm/nys champ race # 3

MOTM, race # 3 was Sunday
Having raced the same course last year(they chnaged up up a little this year), I knew what lay ahead: A fun mix of technical, rocky singletrack, some very fast doubletrack, a few nasty but short climbs, and one seriously sketchy downhill. I also knew that the first part of the course was either flat or slightly downhill. The first climb wouldn't appear until about half a mile into the race. This meant that it would be safe to go all-out at the start to try and get a good position going into the first major climb. about 4.4 miles per lap
me:
My bud Jason & I arrived early enough to do a pre ride.....(shh, dont tell him but I am trying to pass on some of my experience to open up his potential)
Anyways, I had the series lead (by 8 points) coming into this race, the dude in 2nd had some mechanical issues in race #1, and he won race # 2.....I was damned concerned.
After the start, it was him, me & a jr (that started at the same time), I dove down low going around the pond & passed Mr. #2, then passed the jr just before the steep/shale DH section. The JR and me put a gap on the rest, after another mile or so jr. faded. I felt strong, and just kept riding & waiting to be caught. I also didnt want to get over confident, and then get passed. Its kinda tough out front by yourself, I kept passing 19-29s (they left 2 minutes ahead of my group) and beginners (they had 2 short cuts). I was saving a little in case I was caught but at lap 2.5 I decided to just go as hard as I my body would allow for the last 1/2 lap.......so hammer, hammer, hammer and woo hoo cross the finish in 1st giving me the series win, and the NYS NORBA Championship!!!

No comments: