Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Alleycat!

Drunk Dodger 5001 was Saturday night in Albany and it was my 1st ever alleycat race.

*alleycat: An illegel bicycle race through an urban environment, with no real race course, only checkpoints*

I decided to use the roadie and bike over to Albany. I really had no clue what I was doing, and my main objective was to finish. We would get 5 sheets, each with 5 or so locations/questions that could only be answered at those locations. Once you finished a sheet you'd get another to work on.

I (we) made some mistakes, even when I started working/riding with J from Steiners. When we finished sheet 2 we were told we were in 3rd/4th! cool. but then we wasted 10-15 minutes on one I already knew (but 2nd guessed myself). It was pretty fun/insane to be racing all over Albany, blasting red lights, passing cars, people asking us what to hell we were doing. So with 2 answers left to get we see another strong rider and he already had the one we were headed to, that one wasnt too far away and then we saw him again at the last one - all that was left was the climb to the finish (a bar!). I drafted J a bunch that night so I had no plans to go for a sprint to beat him to the finish. Soze checked our sheets and I gota "2" witten on mine.
me: "Huh, whats the 2 for"
Soze: "2nd place"
me: "Woo hoo!!!".

I checked the time, it was midnight - 3 hours to do the race, way longer then I expected. So we hung out, drank some beer, waited for the others to finish, then they did awards - I grabbed the roadie carbon bars. more hanging out, then up to "217" for food. Finially I started my commute back home, it was past 4am by the time I got there.

Overall the race was pretty crazy and way fun, I had such a great time and meet some pretty cool people.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Greeti8ngs! I ran across you in the Bike Forums Bloggers forum. I thought I'd drop by and say hey, so "Hey!" ;)

Nice blog!

endorphinum said...

And i also found it by cumin through a bike forum where you promoted your blog so i also would like to say "hi" :)

If you ever would like to see your
Blog inside the Beta Sway ezine
then fill out the form at the "Me in Blogsport" link at http://beta.endorphinum.de

Big hugs from Hamburg in Germany,
Carlos

Tim said...

Looks like you've had a good couple of seasons. Good luck with the new team and good luck next year.

Tim said...

Looks like you've had a good couple of seasons. Good luck with the new team and good luck next year.